Ingredients for the coolest vegan ice cream:
- Coconut milk - must have for dairy-free ice cream.
- Maple syrup - It gives this recipe a deep, complex sweetness.
- Tahini - The creamy star ingredient in this recipe.
How to Make Non-Dairy Ice Cream
The night before you plan to make your dairy-free ice cream, freeze the base of your ice cream maker. It should be in the freezer for at least 12 hours before you proceed with the recipe!
The next day, whisk together the coconut milk, tahini, and maple syrup to create the ice cream base. If your coconut milk is chunky, use a food processor or blender to whir the ingredients into a smooth puree.
Then, pour the mixture into the base of your ice cream maker and churn until thick! Mine takes about 20 minutes, but the timing will depend on your machine. Refer to your manufacturer’s instructions for timing guidelines.
When the ice cream is thick, scoop and enjoy, or freeze it for 1-2 hours for an even thicker texture.
Vegan Ice Cream Recipe Tips
- Spice it up! Try adding a pinch of cinnamon or cardamom or a drop of vanilla to the coconut milk base for an extra layer of flavor.
- Don’t forget the toppings. I love this dairy-free ice cream on its own, but it’s delicious with toppings as well. I served mine with tart cherries, melted dark chocolate, vegan chocolate chips, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Eat it right away, or freeze it for up to a week. This vegan ice cream has the perfect creamy, smooth texture right after it comes out of the ice cream maker. Enjoy it as soon as it’s done, or store it in airtight containers in the freezer for up to a week. It hardens while it’s in the freezer, so if you’re planning to serve it 24 hours or more after you make it, let it soften at room temperature for 20 minutes before scooping it into coconut bowls.